New Diabetes diagnoses are hitting all time highs and one can wonder looking at the growth curve whether or not everyone will be diabetic in a few years. Here are a number of tips to help you regulate your blood sugars better. Prevention is worth more than a needle in the tummy and a finger prick a couple times every day for the rest of your life. Start now and avoid big problems later!
1. Sugar consumption is just past the obscene level. It's in every processed food, in addition to what is just consumed in junk food of all kinds. So, start whittling back on your sweet tooth! Every granule and drop of sugar you eliminate and choose to go without pulls you back from the precipice of diabetes. Read labels -- sugars are listed! 4 gms of sugar = 1 teaspoon of sugar. Do the math and think of just spooning in the teaspoons of raw sugar!
2. Exercise: 10-20 minutes of brisk walking at least 3 times a week is an impressive start if all you're doing is laying around watching Lifetime and sucking down hot chocolate. If you're already doing that amount add more days a week and then increase the minutes.
3. Avoid artificial sweeteners. They are synthetic and your body doesn't know what to do with them other than mess up your metabolism and brain.
4. Essential blood sugar management minerals are calcium, magnesium, zinc, chromium, selenium, and molybdenum.
5. Bring your weight down. Carrying extra pounds increases diabetes risk. Use the Push Away Diet. Push away from the table before you're done! You're a grown-up. Your mom is not going to punish you for not cleaning your overstuffed plate!! And, if she wants to send your leftovers to China, hand her a mailing envelope.
6. If you're female of child-bearing age, breast feed your children. Women who do reduce their diabetes risks later in life.
7. Herbs which can help manage blood sugar or up metabolic rates include: garcinia cambosia, bitter melon, green tea, acai berry, and siberian gingseng.
8. Avoid white foods -- white rice, white potatoes, white sugar, white flour/breads... White is the sign of over processed grain or starch, which simplifies the carbohydrates making them too volatile for your blood sugar control systems to manage.
These all look simple on paper. Start today, start somewhere! Each item you undertake is a big step toward being in the minority in 2020 when more people will have diabetes than don't! If you're choosing to stay on the diabetes track, you should buy some pharmaceutical stock and at least benefit financially during the disease misery and from the drugs they'll have for you.