A Basic Beginning to Better Health in 2015
Mark Fredericksen, N.D., M.Div
Introduction: A Change of Course
Basic Integrative Health Elements:
(1) Sleep: The minimum amount of sleep needed is 8 hours. Ideally, more than half of It should be before 2:00 a.m. Adequate sleep contributes the following benefits: weight loss, skin health, and more stable mental health. Sleep is a strong indicator of adrenal health. If insomnia is a problem, adrenal support is probably needed.
(2) Water: Adequate water is typically 6-8 glasses a day, this would be a minimum of 64 fluid oz. A gallon a day is an admirable health experiment. Most of us walk around in dehydrated states. This impairs our ability to detoxify.
(3) Intermittent Fasting: Begin with doing a twelve-hour fast once or twice a week. Do not eat for 12 hours between dinner and breakfast. Gradually add more days until this is a daily pattern. Once it’s daily then once or twice a week go for 16-24 hours. Water, herbal tea, supplements are permitted. Intermittently fasting stimulates your body to grow more adept at using fat stores for energy.
(4) Basic Diet Change: (A) No refined sugars/sweeteners of any kind including sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, pasteurized honey, maple syrup, agave, sugar alcohols and all artificial sweeteners. Small amounts of stevia and black strap molasses are okay. (B). Avoid white processed flour and foods. (C). Increase the amount of vegetables you’re eating – more of your plate should be occupied by vegetables than any other food group.
(5) Supplementation: A good quality multiple vitamin containing fruit and vegetable extracts, such as Alive, Furhman, or Juice Plus. A multiple vitamin is working if your appetite seems more reasonable. One teaspoon of coconut oil twice a day, 3 fish oil capsules twice a day. A whey protein powder can be helpful in bumping up protein intake or for bridging a gap between meals. Some helpful weight management products are also available in my virtual online dispensary. You can access it through my clinic website, www.natureworkshealthclinic.com
(6) Breathing: Fat is processed predominantly by breathing. The body breaks down fat into carbon and water. Carbon leaves the body with carbon dioxide. The “Pranayama ap” is a good directed breathing exercise available on iPhone. 1-2 minutes of deep breathing done 8-10 times a day is a good start. The more deep breathing you do the better. Exercise supports deep breathing (and fat processing.)
(7) Exercise: The goal should be 30 minutes a day. If you haven’t been exercising, begin with a 30-minute walk. Buy a pedometer. A good daily goal is 7,000 steps. 10,000 steps is better. 12,000 steps you get an A+
(8) Tracking: “Fitness Pal” is an iPhone ap that helps you keep track of your daily caloric and exercise details. This is a significant part of maintaining attention and intention every meal.
(9) Journaling. Journaling or keeping a diary where you reflect on how you’re feeling and how things are going, as well as what’s working will prove invaluable for reviewing later if you lose your way.