The issue of vaccinations is a complicated one and crosses into areas of physical health, morals, ethics, public health, religion, and parent rights. Unlike what the public health officials preach, getting your child's shots are not as simple as they make it sound. Each child (and family) has situations unique to them - biochemically, immunologically, sociologically, and religiously. The decision needs to be informed of course, but those decisions need to be made on an individual basis, rather than the herd mentality public health espouses. Parents from the first day of human existence have had to make difficult choices regarding the health of their children. Too frequently life and death decisions face parents caring for their children. Sadly, it is not an infrequent situation where there is no guaranteed right answer in medicine. With immunizations, there can be bad outcomes (though very rare) regardless of which decision is made regarding them. So parents must choose which way to go on shots based on their best information, intuition, knowledge of their children, and health paradigm. About the only bad parent decision here is to be negligently disengaged with all of it.
Nobody can tell you, as a parent, what the right answer is for your child. That is a choice for which you, as parent, have to bear the weight of responsibility. In your struggle to find the right answer I offer these questions to help guide your information gathering:
- How likely will your child contract the illness?
- How is the disease transmitted? Contracting a disease through sex or intravenous needle is a lot different than by getting coughed on.
- What are the risks of complications from the illness in well nourished children?
- Can you afford to take off a week or more to stay home and care for your sick child?
- What are the risks from the vaccine? (Check a number of sources, including the National Vaccine Information Center. The public health orientation downplays these.)
- What preservatives are used in the vaccine? (Many still use a form of mercury.)
- How is the vaccine manufactured? (Cultures are grown on eggs, monkey cells, kidney cells...etc. Does your child have an allergy to these hidden proteins?)
Post a Comment